The winner of The Best men’s player award for 2020 will be announced on Thursday, December 17, in a virtual televisual broadcast from Zurich, with FIFA announcing that the three finalists for the award being Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Robert Lewandowski.
As such, those that failed to make the top three include Neymar, Sergio Ramos, Mohamed Salah, Virgil van Dijk, Thiago Alcantara, Kevin De Bruyne, Sadio Mane and Kylian Mbappe.This will be the fifth edition of the awards, which has thus far had three different winners of the prize. Cristiano secured the award in 2016 and 2017 whilst a Real Madrid player, while Los Blancos’ Luka Modric was given the honour in 2018. Last year, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi won the award.
Cristiano is the only player that has been nominated among the three finalists in each of the four editions. The 2019 podium with Messi was completed by Van Dijk and the current Juventus forward.
- Best Men’s Player: Robert Lewandowski WINNER
Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi
- The finalists for the best goal (Puskas Award) are: Son Heung-min WINNER
Giorgian De Arrascaeta and Luis Suarez.
- Best men’s goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer (Bayern) WINNER
Alisson Becker (Liverpool) and Jan Oblak (Atletico Madrid).
- Best men’s football coach: Jurgen Klopp (Liverpool) WINNER
Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds United) and Hansi Flick (Bayern Munich).
- Best women’s goalkeeper: Sarah Bouhaddi (Lyon) WINNER
Christiane Endler (PSG) and Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars).
- Best women’s football coach: Sarina Wiegman (Netherlands) WINNER
Emma Hayes (Chelsea) and Jean-Luc Vasseur (Lyon).
- Best Women’s Player: Lucy Bronze (Manchester City) WINNER
Pernille Harder (Chelsea) and Wendie Renard (Lyon).