According to Ministry of Health spokesman Khaled Megahed, Egypt will receive 300,000 doses of China’s Sinopharm vaccine as a gift from China to Cairo later on Monday.
He added that Minister of Health Hala Zayed is making every effort to secure all Egyptians with COVID-19 vaccines in order to protect them from corona infections.
Earlier in February, according to Minster of Health Hala Zayed, Egypt approved the emergency use of the Chinese sinopharm vaccine and the UK- AstraZeneca vaccine.
She added in statements to the MBC privet channel that in mid-February the Ministry will begin vaccinating the elderly along with individuals with chronic COVID diseases.
On Sunday, Egypt received the first batch (50,000 doses) of the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine.
The British-Swedish pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical company was contracted by the Egyptian Authority for Unified Procurement, Medical Supply and Technology Management (AUPP) to obtain 20 million doses of the Coronavirus vaccine.
Major General Dr. Bahaa El-Din Zidan, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the AUPP, said that vaccines are safe and effective, saying “we support all efforts by the state to address the coronavirus, particularly in the provision of vaccines and medicines.”
In media remarks to the ‘DMC Evening’ talk show, Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed stated that the Egyptian Drug Authority is taking the necessary measures to authorize the Russian Coronavirus vaccine.
He continued that it is optional to distribute the coronavirus vaccine, adding that those wishing to receive the vaccine should register via an online website.
Egypt has recently started vaccinating medical teams in isolated hospitals, so senior citizens and people with chronic illnesses will receive their shots later, he said.
A total of 1,315 medical staff in isolation hospitals have been vaccinated for a long time against the virus, while more than 3,000 individuals have registered to receive the vaccine online.
The Ministry of Health said Sunday that 608 new cases of coronavirus have been detected, increasing the total number of confirmed cases to 178,151 since the outbreak in the country began.
Health ministry spokesman Khaled Megahed said in a statement that over the past 24 hours, 55 patients have died of the virus, raising the death toll to 10,353.
After receiving necessary medical care, as many as 543 patients were discharged from isolation hospitals, taking the number of recovered cases to 137,837 so far, the spokesman said.