From Wednesday until further notice, Kuwait says it will close its land and sea border crossings as it imposes curbs to control coronavirus infections in the Gulf country.
However, citizens and domestic workers accompanying them are allowed to return via land and sea ports, as are first-degree relatives of citizens, the cabinet said at its Monday meeting.
The closure will not impact shipping operations and will remove some domestic staff and employees from the neutral zone between Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.
The nation of the Gulf on Saturday barred the entry of non-citizens.
As part of its latest effort to curb the spread of coronavirus, the Cabinet also banned dine-in service in restaurants and cafés as the tiny oil-rich state registered an upward trend in the number of regular infections over the past few weeks.
Kuwait introduced a new round of restrictions earlier this month, including a two-week entry ban for non-citizens and a provision to quarantine all travelers upon arrival.
The entry ban was waived for immediate relatives of residents, such as parents and children, and accompanying domestic staff.
899 new coronavirus infections were confirmed by the Kuwaiti Health Ministry on Monday, taking the total number of cases to 184,989. The cumulative number of COVID-19 deaths stands at 1,049.