Samoa Joe spoke recently with Sportskeeda’s Rick Ucchino and would not commit to a timeline for his return to the WWE ring.
While Joe could not provide a timetable for his return to in-ring action, he made it clear that pro wrestling is not over. The Samoan Submission Machine noted that with his well-being, WWE Medical is taking their time and making sure he’s as safe as he can be.
“As far as the timetable, no,” Joe said. “But I just want to reassure people that you know this point, WWE medical is doing the best for my health and my well-being, and I’m appreciative of it, so we’re taking our time.
“We’re making sure that I’m as healthy as I can be. And we are… Yeah, I think that’s essentially it, you know, I’m not putting a timetable on it because the type of injury is not something that I want to rush, obviously, for obvious reasons. So, yeah, I mean, that’s essentially the update.”
Joe also noted that his rehabilitation has resulted in several COVID-19 pandemic-related technical hold-ups. He also said that the hiss in-ring career is not over by a longshot, and the recovery time is appreciated.
“I mean, and obviously, too, there’s been some holdups from a technical standpoint with the pandemic going on and availability of medical personnel, but for the most part, we’re taking a careful, measured approach, and though I don’t think my in-ring career is over by a longshot I’m appreciative of the recovery time. And that my health is being respected at a premium,” Joe added.
Each Monday night, Joe continues to do RAW commentary. During the RAW of February 10, 2020, where he teamed with Kevin Owens and The Viking Raiders for a loss to Seth Rollins, AOP and Murphy, he last wrestled on TV. Due to a fractured thumb, Joe spent several months on the shelf in late 2019, returning to the ring in late December of that year. On the January 27, 2020 RAW episode, he then suffered a concussion while doing a dive, returned to action for one week, and then suffered a second concussion at the beginning of February of last year at a RAW commercial shoot. Joe then tested positive for violating the WWE Wellness Guidelines and was suspended for thirty days.
In late April of last year, WWE took him back to the RAW Announcement Squad.
For more on Joe’s WWE status and potential, stay tuned.