SINGAPORE The date of the Singapore/Hong Kong bubble of air travel has yet to be fixed, the Transportation Minister said on Thursday (April 22).The update follows media reports that Singapore and Hong Kong had revoked the plan on Thursday to announce the air travel bubble.According to a Bloomberg report, the cancelation was started on the Singapore side.
A MOT spokesman answered questions from The Straits Time and told the two cities that the travel arrangement was initially scheduled to start in November last year.
“We have not fixed a date to announce the resumption of the bubble, but will do so once we are ready, hopefully very soon,” the ministry’s spokesman added.
Following an increase in Covid-19 cases in Hong Kong, the Singapore-Hong Kong agreement was postponed to this year. Recent discussions have shown that the travel bubble could start soon with the improvement of the Covid 19 situation in Hong Kong. Carrie Lam, Hong Kong CEO said she expects on April 13 “an early sign of the two sides’ agreement” on the travel bubble.
On April 14, Singapore Minister of Transportation Ong Ye Kung said that details of the arrangement were finalized to restart all forms of quarantine-free travel between Singapore and Hong Kong. Meanwhile, in months Singapore has the highest number of infections reported in migrant sleeping quarters.
On Wednesday eleven cases of coronaviruses were found at the dormitory of Westlite Woodlands. This is after a construction worker in Bangladesh, 35 years old, remained in the designated dormitory on Monday tested positive for the virus, although both doses of Covid-19 had been received. Migrant working people’s sleeping quarters were declared cleared of the coronavirus on 19 August last year.
On Wednesday, 11 cases of coronavirus were detected in a dormitory in Westlite Woodlands.This follows a Bangladeshi building worker of 35 years who stayed in the purpose-built dormitory on Monday who had received both doses of Covid 19 vaccinations and tested positive for the virus. On August 19, last year, migrant workers’ sleeping areas were declared cleared of the coronavirus; however there were new dorm clusters and cases.
Source: The Straits Times