SINGAPORE – The air travel bubble between Singapore and Hong Kong may not begin if there is a breach of the seven-day average of five or fewer unlinked communities in either city.
In response, Minister for Education, Lawrence Wong, said Friday (April 30), on how the recent spike in community cases can affect the travel bubbl, which from May 26 will permit quarantine-free movement among the two cities, that the mechanism of a seven-day moving average will remain operational in Singapore, which both parties agreed upon.
“If it starts, but along the way the threshold is breached, then it may well be suspended,” said Mr Wong, who is co-chair of the multi-ministry task force tackling Covid-19.
Given the fluid situation of Covid-19 around the world, Singaporeans must be mentally prepared for disrupting or suspending such new initiatives.
“This is not a situation where new initiatives are rolled out and then they will continue permanently without any potential for disruption,” said Mr Wong.
Transport Minister Ong Ye Kung and his counterpart from Hong Kong announced earlier this week the date of the commencement of the Air Travel Bubble on the 26th of May.The travel bubble will start cautiously one flight a day in each direction, which for the first two weeks will be limited to 200 passengers per flight. From June 10, this is then raised to two flights a day. Before embarking on the direct flights, passengers from both sides must test Covid-19 negatively and take a test on arrival.
Those who use passports from Hong Kong must also be totally vaccinated prior to travel. This does not affect citizens of Singapore and others using departure documents from non-Hong Kong. As of Friday, there had been a growth in the number of unlinked cases in the community from five in the previous week to six last week.
Source: The Straits Times